As The Swoosh enters a new age of appealing to future generations, they’ve elected Memphis Grizzlies superstar Ja Morant to lead the charge as Nike’s first Gen-Z signature athlete. Following a shock drop of the Nike Ja 1 in both its “Midnight” and “Scratch” options, the inaugural colorway marking the beginning of Morant’s series with the Beaverton-based brand is landing on the first day of April.
Gifting the sneaker community with first looks at the pair on Christmas Day, The Swoosh has gone all-out with marketing its first signature star since Giannis Antetokounmpo’s anointment in 2019. Inviting media members to an official launch at FedEx Forum in early February while erecting a mountainous pop-up at All-Star Weekend, the “Day One” colorway is rooted in Morant’s underdog ethos and the chip he’s carried on his shoulder since first falling in love with the game. Working with designers to craft a signature light blue color in homage to his blue-collar mentality, the cobalt blue-like hue stretches across the upper while lush yellows and pinks dress the sole unit and gradient infused within the full-length TPU Swoosh.
What makes the Nike Ja 1?
-A mid-foot lockdown system provides the wearer with both a snug and secure fit amidst quick changes in direction.
– The forefoot has been loaded with Nike’s staple Air Zoom bag for an explosive sensation during takeoff
-Both the 0.25mm sidewall guardrail and cushioned foam collar of the low-top model have been raised to support both lifting off and landing. Additionally, zonal cushioning has been placed throughout the ankle construction for further reinforcement.
– Morant’s hands-on approach throughout the design process appears in the handwritten details with his signature on the backside of the tongue and heel counter while his daughter’s name is inscribed into the midsole.
– The lateral outrigger between the midsole and outsole has been shaped in the form of the letter “J”.
– The vamp and upper collar bear a breathable ballistic throughout while the #12 and “JA” can be seen amongst the macro perforations lining the forefoot mudguard overlay and heel underlay.
– Each forefoot is affixed with an asymmetrical toe guard while a herringbone traction pattern ensues along the tread underfoot.
– The insoles receive a hand-written message from Ja inscribed to his family, friends, haters, community, heroes and more with “Day 1” held within a calendar date box.
Nike Ja 1: Price & Release Date
As the most affordable silhouette within Nike Basketball’s signature portfolio, the Nike Ja 1 “Day One” will see its official global debut via the SNKRS app and select retailers on April 19th for a retail price of $110 in adult sizing.
Enjoy a closer look at the Nike Ja 1 “Day One” below, alongside an updated “Where To Buy” list to grab your pair.
For more upcoming signature debuts, check out Jayson Tatum’s upcoming Jordan JT 1.
Where to Buy
Make sure to follow @kicksfinder for live tweets during the release date.
Nike Ja 1 "Day One"
Release Date: Apr 19th, 2023 (Wednesday)
Color: Cobalt Bliss/Hot Punch/Medium Soft Pink/Citron Tint
Mens: $110 Style Code: DR8785-400
North AmericaApr 19th, 2023 (Wednesday)
Grade School: $90
Style Code: DX2294-400